Thursday 5 June 2008

The things that (only) people do when you get close to them

"It is incredible what people let you do when you get close to them". That is what Simon said about the fact that yesterday I had the chance of observing a sub-editor doing her work, and talking aloud and explaining things to me. It was fascinating.

I didn't ask her to talk aloud. She just did. Not all the way through, but she did. And she explained errors when they happened. And they happened, oh lord, they did. :)

I'm feeling less uncomfortable, more capable of approaching people, but also a bit more annoying and less "news" to them. Which is good and bad. It is good because I am not supposed to be news, I am supposed to fade in the background. And bad because I don't have the excuse "hi I am new here" to introduce my conversations, so will have to come up with a different approach.

I will do a wrap up of the 1st week tomorrow, draw a route of the story as I understand it so far, make a list of issues I want to present to Simon, a list of questions I have for him, print the material produced -- specially the interviews -- and put together a plan for next week, including the people I have scheduled to talk to and a bit of a direction to the interviews I want to make to the head of news and the head of online.

One last point: I need to stop saying "right" every time the person I am interviewing stops talking. It is very annoying to hear when I am transcribing the audio. It must be annoying for them as well.

No comments: