Friday 13 June 2008

Cold feet

So I reached half of the period I have for the observations: two weeks. And I think I reached a critical point, that point that what Hammersley calls "the tunneling" effect needs to happen, and quick.

I basically have three paths to follow.

1) Clash of cultures: how do two cultures, the newsroom journalism and the online journalism work together? How does one influence the other and how do they change the other? Changing habits, routines, quality x speed, rhythm of production, tensions both in human relations and resources x constraints.

2) Decision making under pressure: how the decisions that need to be taking in writing and editing are constrained by the time limits imposed by the online edition

3) I forgot. Which means that is probably not important.

I'm more inclined to think like the first one. Specially because I have been thinking about it through "Activity Theory's eyes". But then I am afraid I should submit this theses at the Sociology department, not the Interaction Center...

Simon says "it's fine". And the chief of the department, a carrier researcher, says it's fine too. I just wonder if I won't be telling an old story, something that is not the whole truth, because the newsroom is just too much of a complicated environment for me to absorb in a month, or something that is of no use...

I think I have cold feet.

No comments: