Tuesday 3 June 2008

The badge-trigger

Today I had a real revelation: badges can do you a big favor in an overt observation. At The Newspaper there are a lot subeditors or writers who are "casuals", i.e., that come to the newsroom in an irregular basis. And they do rotate a lot, there are a lot of different people coming and going everyday. So, as far as everybody is concerned, I am just another "sub", or another "temp".

So this morning I had an insight: I noticed that nobody wears their badges, which works as a security pass, opening doors and allowing you in and out of the building. My theory was that if I did wear a badge, it would be a sign for people to notice that I am not one of them. I dress up like them, (I'm wearing my glasses and hair tied back, which gives me this "journalist look"), do a lot of what they do: take notes and write in a computer, which allows my existence in the newsroom without causing disturbances.

But there is a little sign hanging around my neck saying "are you interested? talk to me!". And it worked! People looked at me and asked what on Earth I was doing there, which gave lead to explain the project and what I am doing and ask questions about them. It is quite tacky, but I don't mind. I think it is worth it. Also prevents me from losing it.

Strange are the triggers of conversations in the field...

No comments: