Thursday 29 May 2008

Presentation + Plans

So, had my presentation about the project today and the fact that, even after preparing it I found it difficult to express what they outcomes of it could be is worrying.

Also had a meeting with Simon -- which was nice, given that I will start at The Newspaper on Monday! :O

We agreed:

1. On my first day I should be concentrating on finding out who I can talk to. That could in through talks with the two gatekeepers I identified. For that, I need to tell them what I am looking for, which leads us to point 2:
2. I will prepare a "one sentence explanation" of what I want to know. That could be in the format "I am interested in understanding...". From what I had the chance to talk so far it is basically: "I would like to understand how is the process of writing for the web and for the paper editions", so they can point me in the direction of seeing the people who make this process happen
3. We talked again about AT and I felt more confident in explaining it to Simon, specially the 3rd generation approach. He seems to see some sense in what I say, but I don't think he is entirely convinced though. Will finish that theoretical considerations document and send it to him. But he emphasized how I shouldn't be slaved by the theory, that I am good in eliciting data, finding out things and talking to people, so in his view ethnography is not that different from journalism. I couldn't disagree with him more on that point, but I understand what he means by being more "free" about how I look at this setting.
4.We agreed on a weekly meeting, on Fridays, to discuss my progress. That made me feel safer. And he also said I shouldn't feel like I'm bothering him at all
5. I am nervous and I can't relax, even if this is a fantastic thing to be able to do, I can't relax. I think I will feel better if I write more about the AT thing and think through this better.
6. Simon says that member checking is a good idea, but not the "continuous writing" idea. So I won't be writing stuff during the collection of data.
7. I need to reply to Kari Kuutti.
8. The gatekeeper didn't reply to my email. If he doesn't say anything until tomorrow morning I will write again.

No comments: