Friday 23 May 2008

The New New Journalism

Went to an Innovation Forum talk yesterday, the "New new journalism". Interesting to be in a room full of journalists again, but not very interesting conversation. Lots of the old "we need reporters instead of people with phone cameras", and "we must seek the absolute truth" and stuff. Not very interesting from the design point of view either, I didn't get much from it.
Charlie Beckett (who just published his book "Super Media") in his defense of a brighter future to "the journalism we can all do", said some interesting things about "public searches" -- I guess that pretty much the same as crowd sorting, like the people who scrutinized satellite pictures to find the guy who got lost in the desert. Interesting point of view on "crowdfunding" to journalism.
A bit of a waste of time for my project, as didn't get the chance to talk about technology at work, they all seemed more interested in technology for the masses: blogs, videos, twitters, etc, etc. Good to catch up with general facts (or more like general opinion) conversation.

1 comment:

LauraO said...

Hi Sarah,

Meant to say hello after last night's event, but had to run to catch a train.

I can see that last night wouldn't be much help with your project, but I'm interested in this area.

I work as an online journalist reporting on... online journalism, so if there's anything you think I could help with, drop me an email.