Thursday 8 May 2008

Conversations

Great day yesterday! Met Marina Jirotka for a chat near Paddington station and it was very fruitful. She told me about her research in the City and how she did it. Highlights from conversation:

- She is not a very big fan of Activity Theory or of any theory really. She thinks they are not very useful and she never used them anyway.

- She gave me a print out of her to be published book - Notes towards applied Ethnography, which basically contains a lot of what I was going to ask her in the first place

- She reckons I should use a camera in my observations at The Newspaper. She believes it gives you a security of a resource that you can consult even after the observations.

- She thinks it is a good idea if I don't tell anyone about the fact I am a journalist myself.

- She advised me to talk to Kari Kuuti if I am really interested in Activity Theory. I shall do so.
She also advised me to talk to Paul Luff, who did an ethnography in a radio station in London.

- She is a great woman and really fun to talk to!

PS: It's sunny and I found dulce de leche at the supermarket! Yehyeeee!

No comments: