Sunday 27 April 2008

Early-stage interview

"The aim of pre-fieldwork phase and in the early stages of data collection is to turn the foreshadowed problems into a set of questions to which an answer can be given, wether this be a narrative description of a sequence of events, a generalized account of the perspectives and practices of a particular group of actors, or a more abstract theoretical formulation. Sometimes in this process the original problems are transformed or even completely abandoned in favour of others". Hammersley and Atkinson (:28)

I hope that the latter is not my case.

The newspaper agreed on an early interview, to be held this month (May) with the manager with whom I talked to the first time I went there. I think this (Simon's brilliant idea) will cast away doubts and give me with some direction.

I am slightly nervous again, now I realize it is all happening in a month and I still didn't do half of the reading I wish I had done. Next reading, Strauss and Corbing on how to code for grounded theory.

No comments: